An abundance of choices exist in today’s online gaming environment.
One popular genre of games has emerged called Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs or MMOs).
Most allow players to create online identities as game characters who participate in virtual adventures, which sometimes cross into the real world.
For example, gamers sell virtual game items for real-world money in markets such as eBay. In some games, there is a user-created, virtual world where people use real money to create or purchase personal property in their online world.
This has created an opportunity for a new type of criminal activity called “virtual crime.”
In general, online gaming may involve both social risks and technological risks. Thus, many online gaming risks are similar to those computer users may have already encountered, but they may not have realized that the games pose another opportunity for the compromise of their privacy or computer security.
Follow the standard tips below to make sure you do not get stitch up..ed
Key practices of good personal computer security include the following:
• Use antivirus and antispyware programs.
• Be cautious about opening files attached to email messages or instant messages.
• Verify the authenticity and security of downloaded files and new software.
• Configure your web browsers securely.
• Use a firewall.
• Identify and back up your personal or financial data.
• Create and use strong passwords.
• Patch and update your application software.
Check around the Review abot the security of the game and play only from the site linked to the game!